Paul covered the recent sale of Talkr earlier this morning and it got me thinking about all the plugins, code tweaks, scripts and general tips that Iâ€™m going to publish to help other bloggers benefit from our experience in building an entire corporate Web site and blog using WordPress. So, where better to start than with Talkr.
Talkr allows users to listen to our blog posts (in Mp3 format) instead of reading it. This is functionality that can increases the accessibility of your blog, not just to disabled users, but to everyone who may wish to download your posts and listen to them on a train.
Talkr is very well known, yet you will notice very few bloggers using it. Moreover, only a handful of bloggers utilized it properly.
So whatâ€™s the catch! The catch is very simple, you just have to follow a few simple steps to get it to working properly.
So, this is what you need to do to get it working properly. Drop us a comment if you need a hand.
- Ensure your blog doesnâ€™t have password protected posts, otherwise Talkr wonâ€™t work.
- Open up a free account with Talkr.
- After completing the registration process, log into Talkr and go to My Feed section – Talkr Podcast (keep this window open until the last process)
- Open another browser window or tab and go to feedburner and burn a new feed (even if you already have a feed burned in feedburner), using your blogâ€™s source feed (Atom or RSS not RDF).
- Then login to feedburner and browse to â€œContent-Type Burnerâ€ under optimize tab.
- Select â€œUse this Content-Type:â€ as text/plain, which will be last in the options. After that just activate and Save.
- Before you logout of feedburner sure â€œBrowser Friendlyâ€ and â€œSmartFeedâ€ options are activated. Leave everything else alone.
- Now that you have burned a feed exclusively for Talkr, in Talkr window/Tab (see step 2) use newly burned feedburner feed address in â€œAdd RSS feedâ€.
- Once the new feed is added you will notice a blue background Tab entitled â€œPromote this feedâ€, with few options. At the top of that Tab you will find Source feed and
- Talkr feed URL. The Talkr feed URL is just like this -
Note the 4 digit feed id.
- Now go to your WP-admin-> theme editor, and open up post.php and put this code somewhere in between the <?php the_content and above the comment template call.
<img style=”border:none;” xsrc=”http://images.talkr.com/images/speaker_20.gif” mce_src=”http://images.talkr.com/images/speaker_20.gif” alt=”Listen to this article” border=”0″ />
<a xhref=”http://www.talkr.com/app/fetch.app?feed_id=4 digit feed id&perma_link=<?php the_permalink() ?>”>Listen to this article</a>
Thatâ€™s it; you can do customization, or even call the same code within a single post.